You are here: HomeForum Home → Discussions → 2019 New Leaders Academy → Thread

Student and Staff Secure Storage

Amber P.
Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2019-08-13

PM

Hello Y4Y Community,

This is our organization’s first year as a 21st CCLC and I am so excited to get started! In the Introduction to 21st CCLC live training, there was a lot of discussion around information storage in order to stay compliant with FERPA.

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions of storage databases that are considered secure OR any knowledge as to whether or not City Span constitutes as a secure storage system since this is what our local United Way has asked us to use and I’d hate to double up if it isn’t necessary.

Thanks for your help and insight!

anthonytl
Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2018-11-27

PM

Hi, Amber!
This may not be much help, but I think that you should reach out to your IT department to see what your options are. Our district rolled out our Google Drive/Suite a while back and our IT Department is very confident in its security (it is double encrypted). I imagine that Cityspan would be secure. If all else fails, contact Cityspan directly and ask them what measures they take to assure that their applications are FERPA-compliant.

Kathleen Bethke
Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2019-08-07

PM

Hi Amber,

There are many student data tracking systems.  While I cannot endorse any one of them, if you do a search for 21st CCLC data tracking system, you will likely find several.

Kathleen

Amber P.
Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2019-08-13

PM

Thank you both, for your help!

Sarah Brightwell
RankRankRank

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2015-08-17

PM

If you contact City Span, they can provide you with their data privacy policies and you can then run it by your IT department.  This is a common question so they should be able to quickly get you the needed information.