2. Join
  3. Sign In

Elementary CCR Activities

David McConnell
RankRank

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2018-08-08

PM

Have a great college and career readiness activity for elementary students? Share it below!

Kathleen Bethke
Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2019-08-07

PM

I saw this within the Participant Feedback form and thought it should be posted here.  Great idea.

I don’t know if you have this as a resource already, but perhaps creating a list of CCR-related picture books with or without activity/curriculum ideas would be helpful. I mentioned the Pajamas of My Dreams book by Laurie Collins. The teacher who organized this activity started with the book, then involved the other after school staff to help kids think about careers. The art teacher created a big ‘pajama’ template, so that students could ‘decorate’ their own pajamas in the career of their dreams. We then contacted the Haverhill public library to see if we could display the pajamas, like a real art show. While the pajamas were on display, we were able to invite the author who lives nearby, to meet us at the library for a field trip for the kids. She read the book to them and answered so many thoughtful questions that the kids asked. We then visited the art display. After the exhibit was over at the library, we brought the pajamas back to the school and hung them in the cafeteria for a family engagement night and invited staff and families to come to the school to see the kids’ artwork and have milk & cookies while listening to the story. The teacher also got a donation of pajamas, so that each student got a new pair of pajamas to take home. Everyone enjoyed this activity and didn’t want it to end!