2. Join
  3. Sign In

Missed Videos

katalystcg
RankRank

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2014-06-05

PM

For those of you who missed the video from the webinar today, here is the link:  http://www.edutopia.org/kindergarten-project-based-learning-video

katalystcg
RankRank

Joined 2014-06-05

PM

Here are the replies to the question on the webinar (there will be a few posts with the answers):  In response to the video,  Did you think PBL could be done with students that are so young?;  How does this classroom look different than what we traditionally see in the school day?

Thanks everyone for being so patient today with the technical difficulties.  I hope posting this spurs some more conversation.  Why not watch a secondary video from the PBL Learn More Library and use this thread to begin a discussion around how PBL looks different for them.

Amy Shema: This is seriously cute! Yes - so much planning; . Jennifer Biggs: no video is showing; Amy Shema: What a great way to get kids engaged.; Jennifer Biggs: i didnt even see the video it was blank the entire time;  Julia Bates: Yes, especially with field trips;. Ian Graue: Had my doubts; Claudia Arguello: this is the best age group to do PBL with becuase of their vivid imaginations!; Chelsea Jordan: I actually think that project based learning works better with younger ages; LaDarius Carter: I knew that it was possible but I didnt realize how well the students could grasp the concept and content.; Michelle McKinney: Yes, it can be done with 5-year-olds as long as the teacher plans; Amy Shema: THey are invested in it throughout the entire process; Johanna Friedel: Yes. I have done it before with five year olds and younger and it is effective.; Kellie Peyton: I was impressed with how well PBL did work and how the students led the activities. I would have assumed it could only be done with older groups.;  Jason Kramer: I believe that guiding students using technology is the best way to keep them motivated and invested in learning; Roxanne Sapp: It’s very interactive and the children are engaged.;

katalystcg
RankRank

Joined 2014-06-05

PM

Jen Martin: Yes, because kids not matter how young can engage with information and investigate; Denise Matza: yes I think 5 year olds love learning and this is the perfect wsaay to tap into that natural curiosity; Claudia Arguello: they have an innocence about them and a curiousity about life!; Katherine Keys: I saw the video; carla stough huffman: yes, because it’s organic to how we learn before we attend school; Jeff Hamlin 2: sophisticated vocabulary;  Johanna Friedel: We saw the video;  Jason Kramer: The pbl activity done in the video was an excellent example!; Michelle McKinney: and has instant resources at her/his disposal; Jeff Hamlin 2: great discussion; Roxanne Sapp: I was able to see the video; Jen Martin: I was able to see the video just fine; carla stough huffman: play, curiousity, question and answer are natural ways we gather and test info; Tim Vangeloff: Yes.  It is a great learning tool that the students, not only learn but also live the lesson; Vickie Blanchet: The audio keeps cutting in and out; Robin Dennany: It seems like PBL alligns closely with student led learning; Amy Shema: I was able to watch the video - sometimes the sound is a problem if they are listening through phone rather than online only 164. Chris Burden: I thought it was a unique way of getting them to think of things in terms of real life. Having them discuss different countries and whether or not it’s somewhere they would like to go is a great way for them to connect to the lesson; Jen Martin: Youth are the lead, staff is the guide; Julia Bates: Lot of time invested in creating environment; Katherine Keys: It was a little surprising to see young children working on a long term project and staying engaged the whole time;  Natasha Williams: I was able t see the video; Jeff Hamlin 2: students talking instead of the teacher; Vickie Blanchet: Kids aren’t sitting at desks.  They are engaged in activity - moving and “playing” while learning; Shawn Petty: The instructors were more facilitators than lecturers. They actually asked the students questions and let the students guide the discussion; Terrica Stewart: I thought it could be because they are young and they have a lof of questions and they want to know how or why things are happening. They built a air plane they had people you would see working in an airport.  Very interesting;

katalystcg
RankRank

Joined 2014-06-05

PM

Amber Pompa: I confess I would have had some reservations at first working with this age group, but seeing this video made me realize that with a little patience, project based learning could definitely be utilized with this age group;  Rae Hoffacker 2: Students were totally engaged;  LaTonya Williams: I don’t see any desk;  Rachel Thapa: it’s not that I didn’t think that they couldn’t get the concept .. I just think it would be really difficult to get 5 year olds to think about such a big concept; Jeff Hamlin 2: teacher facilitating conversation; Jason Kramer: Also, I can’t see any responses;  Helena Wagner: There’s lots of movement as opposed to traditional classroom where students are typically expected to be seated.
Prita Chhabra: I didn’t see any desks and chairs 181. charlette thomas: no desk; Jen Martin: very little lecture, more discussion 183. Prita Chhabra: everyone was in a circle; Kaamil Ali 2: I think this went well , everyone likes to learn but making learning hands on it keeps the students engaged the whole lesson; Prita Chhabra: and very involved, creating, making; Michelle McKinney: There seem to be stations; Robin Dennany: There are no desks, activites have students moving, and engaging; Rhonda Olson: More interaction with the students.  No worksheets!; Claudia Arguello: kids were not sitting behind a desk and book; Chelsea Jordan: I work with middle school students, and its hard to get them to do ANYTHING no matter how cool it is.  But with younger kids they are more likely to engage; Amy Shema: The kids are moving and talking; Denise Matza: kids were engaged; Dan White: seated on floor, no desks 195. Rhonda Olson: Hands on learning that kept the kids engaged!; Amy Shema: no one is just sitting and listenng; Michelle McKinney: There aren’t rigid seating systems ; Dan White: very adaptive environment;  Rachel Thapa: I thought it was great that